Monday, August 04, 2008

Russell & Erin's Wedding

I have to call this post part 1 because most of the pictures I took were with my dad's camera and until I get those these are all I have.

Marcus & Faith ready to walk down the aisle.
I was very happy that Marcus did such a great job. Kim - Erin's sister-in-law - had to bribe Marcus with a Batman ring pop to put on his vest & tie. As soon as he got down the aisle he sat down with me and said mom take this off please! They both did and great job and weren't nervous or scared. I think it really helped that they had gotten to know each other and play together for a few days prior to the ceremony. They became fast friends.


What an adventure it is to make a wedding cake!
I had Amy Landon give me the low down on "How to make a Wedding Cake", that was a tremendous help, she and I made a practice cake about a month before the wedding where I was able to learn the secrets and short cuts of the process. She even loaned me all her baking pans and the saw used to cut the cakes evenly. Thank you Amy for all your help!
I then spent the next month reviewing my notes and mentally making and decorating the cake. I wanted to make another practice cake but that never happened.
Thank you to Russell, Erin & Vickie for buying all the needed ingredients at the store and searching all over for the coconut milk and the last minute Raspberry filling (I had some in a cooler I was taking on the airplane but the TSA confiscated it because it was a gel!!! At that moment I swore off flying. Do you all feel safer knowing they didn't let my huge, not trying to hide it bag of raspberry cake filling onto an airplane?) Also, thank you to Tim & Vickie for letting me use their kitchen to bake the cakes and looking after my boys so I could concentrate. And Dad, Thanks for laying in a hotel bed for 3 hours while Seth took a much needed nap!
Thank you Mom, my soux-chef, for helping me get it done and encouraging me when I thought all was lost...
At one point I didn't think my 10" cake would ever bake completely, then I accidentally turned off the oven and many other little oops' just kept things interesting:)
Thanks Granny Ella for letting me assemble and decorate the cake at your house and thank you for your confidence that the cake would be great! I hope you are still enjoying it for breakfast!
Thank you Shay for your beautiful flowers which certainly made the cake look finished.
Thank you Erin for letting me make you wedding cake.
Thanks Jon for all your praise.
And now it's done. Never to be attempted again - at least this month...

12 comments:

Laura said...

What a busy time with you and weddings. your cake turned out beautiful!!! Where was your brothers wedding? California? We'll be moving to UT next month (yikes). It's already that time. I'll get in touch with you when we arrive and settle in.

Chad and Amy said...

The cake turned out perfect! It was beautiful - you are amazing! Marcus looked so handsome. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Mahana said...

That cake looks fantastic! Seriously. Good job. I may need to steal your notes! I'm attempting a mod cake for my sis-in-laws baby shower in a month...yikes. Is that fondant on the cake? Did you make it from scratch??? Recipe please!!!

Wendy said...

Marcus is such an adorable ring bearer! And your cake - it's stunning. I'm thinking you might just have the beginning of a small business on your hands.

Angie said...

Marcus looks like such a little man. The cake looks amazing, I am really impressed! I am going to show Amy the pics when she comes over.

Cynthia said...

Are you kidding me?!?! That cake is GORGEOUS! I am so impressed.

Bekah said...

Oh my gosh, before I even read the blog, I saw the pics and thought to myself: "Wow, that is a gorgeous wedding cake...wish I could get married over again and I'd do one just like that". Then, I found our that YOU MADE IT!!! WOw! I can't tell you how impressed I am. If Ike and I ever "renew our vows", I'll know who to call. You're one talented lady!

Bacons-Bits said...

Thank you everyone for your cake praises.

Bethanne said...

Okay, the boys are growing up SOOOO fast. And, wow, Marcus is a little stud in his suit...too bad he didn't like it! :)

Great cake too!!!

Heidi said...

the cake looked beautiful! how did it taste? congrats on your first wedding cake!

Patti Smith said...

That cake is AMAZING!!!! What a great job you did. Your son is also very handsome!

Sally said...

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous cake!