Monday, August 25, 2008

Rollie Pollies


Boys are so much fun,you never know what is going to show up inside your house...
Marcus has very deep thoughts about bugs. The only ones he lets live are lady bugs, grasshoppers (which he tries to get to climb onto his finger) and rollie pollies, all others get stomped on numerous times. In fact, we have had a few rollie pollies as pets - for a few hours. Marcus lets them crawl on his fingers than we keep them in a plastic cup with half a ritz cracker until they die. I need to do a little research about the bug, in fact...

"Rollie pollies are land-living crustaceans known as isopods. They breath with gills so the have to stay in low, damp spots. And spots like that are full food for 'em - they scavenge dead or decaying plants and animals, fungal spores, bacteria. Sometimes they'll nibble young plants." -Yahoo Answers

So I think what we will try next is a cup of dirt AND a ritz cracker!

7 comments:

Ritch in Love said...

Hey Lake, I haven't dropped by in a little while. I absolutely don't like bugs (remember the roaches from the Bronx?) But rollie-pollies are the best! To this day I scoop one up every once in a while to get it to safer ground. :)

Chris and Tenielle said...

Tell Marcus he can come over to my yard any time and gather all the rollie pollies he'd like. He can take cups full for pets and keep them until they die!
As much as I liked these bugs when I was little, having an infestation of them in my garden has quickly quelled any feeling of affection - they quite disgust me now!

*** said...

Michelle!!! Did you really make that cake? It is absolutely INCREDIBLE! Oh my gosh, wow. I shouldn't be so surprised, you are a professional chef. It is so beautiful, great job! The time in Seatlle looks like such fun! It is a beautiful city. And your cute boys and their bugs, hilarious!

Patti Smith said...

Bugs aren't reserved only for boys. Makayla is often found carrying around a bug cage (found at dollar tree :) that has one of her new catches in it.

Sally said...

So cute! Love your blog background!

Marye said...

Hey Bacons!
I found your blog from the Benders, hope you don't mind the intrusion! I wish we knew you guys a little better. We had a great time playing softball with jon. Boe & I get such a kick out of him! He's hillarious! I'm sure he keeps you laughing all the time! You're kids are so cute! I love your blog!
-Marye Eby

Bethanne said...

I didn't know anyone else called them that! That might sound stupid, but Dan and I had agreed to disagree on what to call them for quite a while. WAHOO!

Marcus is so cute. And I can't stand bugs, so I think Jackson is going to have to figure out how to get creative with his small friends.