Sunday, August 10, 2008

Port Ludlow & Seattle


Crossing the Puget Sound on the Ferry



Taking a hike in Port Ludlow

After the wedding we stayed with my Aunt Laura at her new home in Port Ludlow, it's on one of the islands by Seattle. It is an absolutely beautiful place. It was very exciting for my mom and I to try and navigate the streets of Seattle to get on the ferry that was to take us over to the island. I must say there was no inspiration in the design of wide roads. The streets were pretty small and most were one way so to get on the ferry we had to drive 5 mins. past the ferry, turn around and come back to it. They actually had a sign telling you to follow the U Turn Ferry Route! Well, we finally made it onto the ferry parked our car and went up top for a view. I told Marcus he was very lucky because I was 30 and crossing the Puget Sound for my first time and he was only 3! Such a lucky boy to have been so many places. Once we arrived on the island it was a whole new place - little town feeling with HUGE trees all around. Every time the wind blew I thought for sure I was going to see a tree snap in half. I couldn't believe it was the middle of summer - there were Christmas trees everywhere and the temperature at it's highest (for only one of the days we were there) was 70 degrees. We went on an interpretive trail hike and I was wearing a sweatshirt AND a jacket! Don't get me wrong I thought it was great - this little desert rat is not liking the desert heat so much anymore.
My Aunts house is beautiful with a view of the woods and the Puget Sound everywhere you look. Every morning we would wake up and look for deer out the windows or boats in the water, we were lucky to have spotted a Mama deer and her baby eating berries! My camera ran out of batteries so I have only two picture of our stay there. But we had a wonderful stay with Aunt Laura & Uncle Larry. Thank you so taking such good care of us and putting up with the screamin' meanies!

We then went back across the ferry and spent a couple of days in Seattle going to the Aquarium and children's museum. May my mom and I never have to drive in Seattle again - it's a maze, that's the only way to describe it! We also went down to the Pike's Place Market one night only to find out that it does close down - I though it was open all the time - so we tried again the next day. Marcus got to see them throw the fish and he even touched a crab! We then grabbed some lunch and treats and headed for the airport!

Needless to say - my mom and I were exhausted!
Thanks mom & dad for a fun trip to Washington!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey Michelle - my friend Heidi used to live on Bainbridge Island. I had the pleasure of visiting them once while they lived there. I have to agree with you that the Pacific Northwest is SOOOOOO beautiful! Listening to your driving woes, I'm glad I didn't have to drive around Seattle!

Patti Smith said...

I'm sooo jealous! I've missed Seattle ever since we left. It is one of the best place I've ever been. I'm glad you had fun there and saw all the fun things to see.

Bethanne said...

Man, I have never been to Puget Sound...sounds absolutely beautiful! And boy does Seth look like Marcus...Cute pictures!